Nintendo delivers a dish best served cold…
Let’s go straight to the point of update. So what exactly does 4.2 do to your softmodded Wii? According to wiibrew.org, the following changes are foreordained:
- Deletes most homebrew.
- Now uses IOS70. (No Preloader due to that)
- Wii Shop Channel updated. Use WiiSCU to update the shop channel.
- Most of the IOS’s have been updated or stubbed.
- Updates your boot2 to boot2v4 (what LU64+’s have). (That means no downgrading of any IOS, and due to that, you can’t revert back to your old System Menu. So BootMii as boot2 installed is removed.)
However, apart from BootMii getting uninstalled, what is quite shocking is that Nintendo decided to put all chips on the table, and go for a complete un-installation of the Homebrew Channel. That’s right folks, if you update your system version to 4.2, pretty much all traces of custom brew are gone, including your beloved Homebrew Channel. And the drama doesn’t end there. Here is the 4.2 highlights of the day:
- Banner Bomb Exploit Doesn’t Work anymore (possible solution to re-install Homebrew Channel is to use the Indiana PWNS or Comex’s SmashStack beta
- Boot Mii will cease to exist
- Pre-loader is killed (not sure if its completely removed, but will not load because System Menu now boots on IOS70)
- cIOS gets stubbed – AntiPiracy (USB LOADERS/BACKUPS)
- HOMEBREW CHANNEL IS DELETED FROM YOUR Wii , NO QUESTIONS ASKED
So yep, if you would like to contribute to the ANTI-HOMEBREW scene, then this update is for you. Otherwise, for people like us who enjoy [not online] hacking, homebrew games, custom software production and whatnot, 4.2 is but a new enemy, and a very formidable one to say the least. I understand the whole piracy issue, but deleting the Homebrew Channel? That is when things get a little too personal…
Also, I got a personalized message asking me if I wanted to update, I think. This is what I got: